Monday, August 2, 2010

happy anniversary!

I'd like to take a moment to wish my blog a happy anniversary...it's been one hell of a year for writing, woohoo! Many thanks to my readers...old and new. Yes, I love you all.

The anniversary of 28SOTC planted an epiphany in my brain earlier today: It takes work to keep up something good. Ideas never transport themselves...even the good ones.

With longevity comes confidence...with history comes comfort and when we are comfortable we take our world for granted. What we tend to take most for granted after time usually involves our passion, love, and utility. What? I have a thing for words in 3s. But...this is true.

We forget that novelty is what carries us only initially in life's adventures. We are in tune with what's happening to us in our new job, new relationship, new location, new dreams...but often we forget as time moves forward that novelty is ephemeral. Our attention spans are no better than that of a 5 year old who isn't obsessed with his new toy anymore...because there is always something newer, something more exciting to come; there is always something we've not conquered yet. Remember, people are overly indulgent creatures.

We succumb to captivation because we love when our hearts rise into our throats and we nearly explode, sweetly gasping for air. We are having a love affair with thrills...but can we really be blamed?

When I first started writing for 28SOTC, I was fueled by my dreams of the expression I couldn't have put in public before due to the nonexistence of blogs. The inspiration to write about any and everything shot through my circulatory system daily. As time passed, I found less and less time for writing. But I always had an excuse...I always had a reason. I was tired. I didn't have time.

Everyday I could find less time to do the things that recreate novelty in my relationship, for my job, etc....it seems easier and almost more appealing to have an autopilot switch. However, we can't just exist, we have to live. Growing up teaches you that living is not effortless 90% of the time. We have to try constantly. We have to push constantly for the shit we claim to care about. It's OK to crave the brilliance of your future that exists in your dreams...but only one thing is real right now...the present.

If we keep looking for a fast forward button, life will move past us and we'll miss the fleeting beauty that is the current.

Everything that matters most to us will have plenty of anniversaries.

3 comments:

  1. First off, Happy Blog Anniversary!! Thats great that you survived a year with your blog. Before you know it, you'll reach that 5 year mark...ughh...I've been blogging for what like seems forever.

    I'm glad you have finally found your outlet and what seems to be your purpose. All great stuff Cam. And that second to last line is sooo true...even though it reminds me of the movie Click...its still very, very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can't believe that I posted a comment without saying anything about your new layout. Its definitely fly and I approve!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It takes a strong fish to swim against the current. Even a dead one can float with
    it." - John Crowe

    True words! "However, we can't just exist, we have to live." I love it.

    HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY! <----- love it?

    And I'm really feeling the new layout!

    ReplyDelete