Friday, July 9, 2010

july's fire


I'm not all that proud to admit that I probably rocked my first real pair of heels right before I turned 19. I was inspired by my first college roommate to expand my horizons and with the nightlife at UVa this wasn't hard. I really and truly found my style by shopping around and actively researching the fashion concerns of women with my body type; hourglass. Since my first year at UVa I've come from being a sometimes confused experimenter to a comfortable exemplar. A point that I think many women miss about fashion is that its not just about glitz and glamour...it's about practicality, cost effectiveness, and comfort. For example, I'm obsessed with V-t's (V-neck t-shirts, American Apparel is best) because they are extraordinarily comfortable and they are versatile for a glitz and glamour kind of evening or something simple like running errands. Anyways, I'm aware that shoes are most every woman's fetish but I don't think there is enough sharing about what actually works.

Being fortunate enough to have a job fresh off the lawn of Thomas Jefferson's academic village has granted me a chance to gain experience in a field I absolutely do not foresee remaining engaged in while giving me a baseline from which to judge my future desires for a certain type of career. I have decided that I need to be doing something (rather soon) that I really love and that is creative. I have decided that I need to find my way to fashion school.

It's been a decision in formation for several months. Not only do I have the drive but much unlike other life plans I try to make I can stomach the fact that in order to achieve this I really do need to have patience. Part of my drive to be a part of fashion is because women need shit that actually fits and fits well. Most clothing on the market is sold in a Forever 21 format (mass distribution of cheap clothing that you can't return) and women just bare with it because there aren't many cheap places to find something quick and easy for an occassion. So I've reinvented the confused experimenter and I've been trying the fashion world on for size....

Blogs with tips and personal anecdotes have definitely helped me with my fashion frustrations. So here it goes...

My shoe recommendation for July, as in July's FIRE shoe is:


Michael Kors KORS original Suede Glitter pump, retail: $195


Now I can speak on this and not on condition of anonymity because I wear them! I often see women jump at the opportunity to buy 4 pairs of shoes or 4 dresses for $200 rather than one quality pair of shoes or dress for the same price. I know most of us are concerned about trends but we are also concerned about our bank account. Now I can't name a specific solution for that worry being that its real and there'll never be a way to keep up fully with fashion trends without dedicating part of your 401k to the cause...however, my solution is that I am a minimalist stylistically.



I rarely rock patterns or intricate pieces...I am not a millionaire so I have to make the most of my wardrobe and minimalism is the best way to go if I want to maximize my options for the time being. Simple prints that boast shape or cut changes such as solid color one-shoulder or low back dresses will ALWAYS go with a pair of solid or eclectic heels that combine a max of 2-3 colors. Obviously black goes with anything...but too much black is NEVER good. No really it never is.


I don't believe that closed toe pumps get the attention they deserve in the Summer. Most women are looking for the same 6-inch strappy sandal in all 10,247 colors available. To stretch your dollar, invest in a pair of heels that you can wear multiple times with most things that you own, and that you know will last.

Glitter, a KORS original are tried and true! True to size, they are sure not to fall off but I don't find that they suffocate my foot, especially in the toe box. Adding approximately 4.5/5 inches to your height, the heel is strategically placed at the very back of the pump. This provides for more ankle support than the average heel, which abandons its rightful post about an inch from the rear usually. To me there is nothing better than a simple, rich, and sexy pair of pumps that would do justice to really any outfit. You can walk around in these for hours. I promise!


I am NOT saying that these shoes don't need to be broken in...they most definitely do but they are totally worth the investment.

While I aim to partake in the fashion industry's endless race for superiority for the purpose of exhuming my creativity I also want to design a line of practical clothing for women with small breasts and fat asses. Yep, just like me. I have a method that has not been used in clothing design previously.

But before I get there I'll be silently cultivating my craft within the walls of my apartment, building my portfolio, sketching pieces, making plans to relocate, learning to sew! and attending fashion school.


I really can't wait to learn how to sew...

stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE those shoes. I'm a MK groupie! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I was imagining how great it would be if someone could design a practical line for women under 5'5" :) Maybe I'll have to be the one. Keep pursuing your dreams mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go after what you love Cam! Thats great to hear that you know exactly what it is that you want to do with yourself. I'm still trying to figure that part out for myself. Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, when you finally get a line together, can I model it (read as: get samples)? I'm excited to see what you do in the future...

    ReplyDelete