Wednesday, October 20, 2010

new york supremacy




I don't think anyone could dispute that New York is a far more exciting and captivating place than DC. Some might even argue that DC isn't a real city because it has not become the beautifully rigid cultural hub that New York City is and has been since the days of kisses blown on Ellis Island. But what makes a city and why doesn't DC fit the bill?

Y'all know how I am about definitions so once we consult Webster on this, he states that a city is most directly these:
  • a large or important town
  • an incorporated municipality usually governed by a mayor and a board of aldermen or councilmen
  • any town with a large population
  • the financial district of a region
Webster does some talking about cities being a metropolis and for my purposes THIS is most helpful...a city is the central or principal place for activity.


I was having a discussion not too long ago with 2 of the loves of my life about what is 'American' and why a lot foreigners seem to detest the concept of 'American' so much. One of them was from NYC and the other was raised in Nigeria and attended boarding school in England, she loves NYC and plans to move there upon receipt of her degree.

Apparently, DC epitomizes the typical 'American' way in that its a fake city. DC seems to hold a demographic of solely government workers, politicians, rich white people and black people. The city is self-segregated with most of the poorer populations taking root in Northeast or Southeast. If you have the money the only place you'd be found is in Northwest. Click here to see an Ethnicity (distribution) map of the District on a fellow blogger's site. 


What I think irked my friends the most is that there is no diversity in DC, there is relatively no culture, and the choices available for career paths are limited. 'American' is choosing an identity but having trouble sustaining the other parts of your culture or being. There are no gray areas. Lack of culture seemed to be the main gripe. America is a melting pot but everyone is forced to assimilate or provide reasons for their chosen identity. Apparently, in NYC, individual culture transcends the traditional American identity, individual culture thrives and survives in NYC. 


Some of the positive things identified in this discussion about the empire state of perfection were as follows:   
  • NYC is a cultural hub-immigrants and especially self-made NYers can maintain their culture without having to change/assimilate 
  • No matter what their income or social status, the people who live in NY are exposed to the privilege that comes from living in one of the most highly respected cities in the world
  • Living in NYC grants you unlimited access to most things night or day including at subway system that never closes and night life ambiance fed by clubs and bars that close much later than your average 2-3am DC pub
  • NYU, Parsons, FIT, and a slew of expensive private schools
  • Retail Heaven: Flagships for several popular fashion brands and Canal St.
  • Inspiration for both the stylistically sound and stylistically challenged
DC has no real discernible characteristics relative to a diverse populus, style, unlimited access, or fashion. I've never been bored once in NYC whereas during my time in DC I've struggled to find a diverse array of things to get into. In DC, there are 6 places to be seen at: Shadow Room, the Park, Station 9, the Diner in AdMo, District, and the Georgetown Cafe.


Although I, like most of the general population, love NYC, I'd argue that its difficult to chastise cities or a lesser caliber, such as Washington, DC. I say this because the foundation of America is in fact nothing purely 'American'...America is one large conglomerate of all the nations and cultures that fought to attain a piece of her. In essence anything 'American' is fake because it's jocks the swag of at least one other culture's normative practices. I'd also push this point because NYC 'got lucky'...the cultural hub was bound to be what it is today based on what immigration made it. NY is the greatness it is because of history and the great surge of immigrants to this particular section of the East Coast during the late 1800s and early 1900s. It's not as though all the major cities in the world entered a competition and NYC won just because everyone loved it more. This was not a pissing contest. Of course, the reason everyone loves NYC aside, most cities are magical places with wishes of opportunity written into the sidewalks...or so everyone thinks. To date, NYC is still one of most difficult cities to make it in.


Before I allow you to ponder about this as a testament in the cultural bible, I'd like to make a daring point about privilege. When I hear my friends who are from more privileged backgrounds, $20k/year private high school education or access to thousands of dollars per weekly shopping spree, my first response is to be defensive but yet I must catch myself. Not everyone can be from NYC and it's OK that I'm not. Not everyone can have access to the types of things that seem to render a vast population of NYers successful. However still, nothing can disavow the greatness of NYC except for perhaps, the inherent arrogance of its predominately over-privileged inhabitants. 


What do you think?

*Special Thanks to Aaron Hurd...Aaron's blog can be viewed here.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I do think NYC is the best ever but only because it's the only place I feel at home (and I'm not from there). No other place has ever felt like home for me and I've lived in four countries (and traveled to even more).

    However, I don't think NYC and DC can really be compared on a "greatness" scale. I mean, to each their own, right? And while each has ups and downs, the more important thing is to be able to find a niche, a place in the world where you feel at home. And that place can't be the same for all people because we can't fit. LOL. I guess, if you believe in Heaven, then we can but that's a different discussion. We're talking about during-life not after-life.

    One negative of NYC, that I've had people mention to me, is that even though "individual culture transcends the traditional American identity," it's almost as if you HAVE to have something different about you to be "part" of the city. Does that make sense? Personally, I think that if I am trying to not stand out I am therefore expressing my individual ideas so it works out anyway, at least in the City.

    ReplyDelete